Recent results from the Clare speed sign
The key facts are:
- The A1092 in Clare typically has about 3,000 vehicles per day each way, e.g. that is 6,000 in both directions, with a peak flow at busy hours of about 400/hr each way, or 800/hr in both directions.
- About 75% of drivers on average exceed the 30 mph speed limit, with 25% in excess of the ACPO speed of 35 mph.
- Dangerous speeds of over 50 mph are recorded nearly every day before 8 am in the morning and after 8 pm at night, when traffic density is low.
- During the hours when most retired drivers are on the roads, 10 am to 3 pm, speeds are at their lowest and very few drivers exceed 35 mph.
- This data is passed to Suffolk Constabulary who will then deploy a mobile radar speed trap – without notice – to control speeding motorists.
Please find below earlier data from May 2017. Since that date, new data has been circulated and sent on to the police: Jan-Feb 2018; Dec 2017 – Jan 2018; Nov-Dec 2017. Click on each date span to see the files.
|Clare VAS||A1092 opposite Stour Valley Community School – Incoming|
|Channel||Combined||Week 8||Week 9|
|Total Number of Vehicles||38014||20869||17145|
|Number over Speed Limit||29146||15216||13930|
|Percentage over Speed Limit||76.7||72.9||81.2|
|Number over ACPO||8914||3913||5001|
|Percentage over ACPO||23.4||18.8||29.1|
*The Association of Chief Police Officers have a Speed Enforcement Policy which gives some margin as to when enforcement is likely – warning: this is not a licence for anyone to go over the speed limit, as in some circumstances all breaches may be enforced.
2017 © Clare Town Council