One of the finest works of art to come out of Clare is the Reliquary – now held by the Royal Collection Trust in the British Museum: a fifteenth century cross of gold, pearls and wood. It is believed to have belonged to Cecily, Duchess of York, mother of both Edward IV and Richard III. It was found in 1866 during the construction of the railway station.
Few artists have chosen to portray Clare in their artwork.
We have photographs from the mid-nineteenth century – you are welcome to see them within the rolling display in the Ancient House Museum. Some are available as postcards – one of the most popular is the Muffin Man, Mr Powell:
There is an eighteenth century engraving of the castle, a romanticised view from the outer bailey.
Rowntree moved to Great Bardfield in 1941; this was painted in the same year. He was part of the Recording Britain Project. The picture was donated by his friend, Sir John Verney. We are indebted to The Fry Art Gallery and to the artist’s family for permission to include this image.
There is a watercolour of Chapel Cottage in Chilton Street by Walter Ernest Spradbery (1889 – 1969): ‘The Old Chapel, Clare, Suffolk, A. L. Morton’s House’ (1958). A L Morton was a well-known Marxist historian who settled in Clare and died in his house in 1987, aged 84. ‘A People’s History of England’ remains well regarded. He was a founder member of the William Morris Society: the William Morris Gallery in Walthamstow holds the watercolour. Spradbery is best known for his London Transport posters.
Annette Ashton is a painter who lives in Clare. She specialises in landscapes & scenery, animals & wildlife. We’ve chosen just one of her images:
2016 © Clare Town Council