Ownership of properties
The Council safeguards many assets. Several of these are properties: the Ancient House, the Town Hall, the Old School Community Centre, the Playing Field and Clare Castle Country Park; these are administered and managed by trusts on behalf of the council. The Nuttery and the Cemetery are also owned by the Council and managed directly. A charity, Combined Charities of Clare manages the almshouses and various parcels of land, including the Common and the allotments.
The Ancient House, given to the town in 1938 by Charles Bayford, is leased to the Landmark Trust which maintains the whole of the building. The West wing on the High Street is leased at no charge to the Ancient House Museum. The East wing is used for holiday accommodation.
The Town Hall, built in 1912 and refurbished in 1988, and the Old School Community Centre, built in 1862 and converted in 1989, are maintained and run by the Combined Halls of Clare. The Council hires an office in the Old School for its administrative work.
Clare Castle Country Park, a Suffolk Wildlife site, was transferred from Suffolk County Council to Clare Town Council in March 2015. It was created around the ruins of Clare Castle and incorporates the now defunct Clare railway station on the Colchester to Cambridge branch of the Great Eastern Railway.
The Council has the responsibility to maintain the churchyard around St Peter & St Paul parish church, including the walls and gates, since it was closed for burials. Clare in Bloom provides colour and freshness by regular planting along the flower beds.
A number of the benches within the town are provided by the Council, on occasion by joint sponsorship.
Trees in public spaces are regularly inspected by an independent specialist; the council conducts systematic maintenance of the trees and of the green swards.